Possible TV Exposure on "Domingo Live TV Show!" Please send all music and/or music video projects to: Radio Plaza
CHRISTMAS 100 YEARS AGO
Christmas time in 1912 was just a little different than today.
• An avid conservationist, President Teddy Roosevelt banned Christmas trees in the White House.
• The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
• Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
• Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
• There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
• The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
• The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.
• The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
• A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year. A dentist $2,500 per year. A veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year. A mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
• More than 95 percent of all births took place at home.
• Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
• Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
• The Five leading causes of death were: 1. Pneumonia and influenza 2. Tuberculosis 3. Diarrhea 4. Heart disease 5. Stroke
• The American flag had 45 stars.
• The population of Las Vegas , Nevada , was only 30.
• Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
• Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
• There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.